Who we are
Our website address is: http://www.qolf.org.
What is your personal data?
“Personal data” is any information about a living individual which allows them to be identified from that data (for example a name, photographs, videos, email address, or address). Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information.
In a nutshell
Most of the data we collect and hold about you is to communicate with you and for the purpose of our research into how to improve people’s quality of life through the built environment. We may also use data to make The Quality of Life Foundation’s products and services better.
Where necessary we may process demographic information about you in order for us to gain a better understanding of people’s quality of life in their homes across the United Kingdom.
To communicate with you
Where necessary, we share your data with organisations that send communications on our behalf. For example, we use Squarespace, our email marketing provider, to send newsletters.
What data do we collect?
- Email addresses
- Where they are relevant to our service, or where you provide them to us, for example in a survey, we may process demographic information such as gender, age, date of birth, marital status, nationality, education/work histories, academic/professional qualifications, hobbies, family composition, geographic location and dependants.
How do we process your data?
It’s important that you understand what we’ll do with the data that we hold about you, as well as the lawful reasons we are allowed to do this.
For our legitimate business interests
This means that using your information is necessary for us to build our foundation and provide our services to you. We consider and balance any potential impact on you and your rights before we process your personal data for our legitimate interests. Our legitimate interests include:
- Communicating with you about our research and services: we may contact you about Quality of Life Foundation news, research and services that we think you might be interested in. We may also contact you to provide you with offers, competitions, marketing materials and other promotional materials, both online and through other marketing channels, such as third party social networks, like LinkedIn.
If you have questions about the lawful basis on which we collect and use your information, you can email our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com
Sharing your information
When we share your information
We sometimes need to allow our partners to process personal information we hold about you on our behalf for the reasons set out in this Policy or as otherwise required by law. We make sure that these third parties won’t use your personal data for their own purposes and we only permit them to use it in accordance with our instructions and the law. This includes the following types of organisations:
When you share your own information
Sometimes you may share your information publicly. Remember, when you share information publicly it may become accessible through search engines.
You’re in control
If we collect or handle your personal data, you have rights as an individual which you can exercise in relation to the information we hold about you:
- To correct or update your personal information, you can email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To delete your personal information, you can email us email@example.com.
- To ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or transfer your personal information to a different organisation, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To confirm if we are using your personal information or get access to all your personal information that we hold, in an easy to understand, portable and secure format, you can email us email@example.com with the subject line “Subject Access Request”.
- To object to the processing of your personal information, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- To withdraw consent to process your data, you can email us email@example.com at any time.
- To opt-out of marketing communications you can email us firstname.lastname@example.org
Keeping your information secure
Whilst we cannot ensure or guarantee that unauthorised access to or unauthorised alteration, disclosure or loss of information will never occur, we work hard to prevent it. In particular:
- We use encryption to keep your data private while in transit.
- We review our practices for collecting, processing and storing personal information, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorised access to systems and backups to prevent the loss of information. We will continue to enhance our security procedures as new technology becomes available.
- We restrict access to personal information wherever possible to people who need to know that information to process it and who are subject to contractual confidentiality requirements.
Retaining and holding your information
We keep the personal information we collect for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which we collected it. The length of time depends on the purposes for which we use it, or otherwise to meet our legal obligations.
We will delete any information as soon as we no longer have a valid reason to hold it. If this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
You can get in touch about anything in this Policy by emailing us and our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com
About this Policy
When this Policy applies:
For the purposes of this Policy, “we”, “us”, “our’ and “The Quality of Life Foundation” means Quality of Life Foundation Limited . Unless otherwise stated, The Quality of Life Foundation is the Data Controller for your personal data.
This Policy applies to how we use your information in relation to our research, communications and services generally.
This Policy doesn’t apply to other companies’ sites that you get to through our website or social media pages. So make sure you’ve read their policy before putting your personal information on their site.
Changes to this Policy:
We may change this Policy at any time. If we make any changes, we’ll post them on this page. If they’re substantive changes, we’ll also have a more prominent notice letting you know. You can also email or write to us for a physical copy.
Last updated: The Policy was last updated on 05.03.2020.